Every year, we successfully welcome students joining us for the second year of their A-levels in Birmingham after completing their lower sixth (Year 12) elsewhere. These students have the opportunity to fill any gaps in their knowledge and skills from the first year while receiving expert instruction in the new A2 course material. They also benefit from the same extensive guidance on university applications as other students.
Students transferring to the College for their upper sixth course are expected to demonstrate a satisfactory level of understanding of their subjects and have achieved at least B grades (or equivalent on assessment). In certain circumstances, and with careful assessment, it is possible for students to take up a new subject that they can complete in a year.
The College ensures that through additional support and tuition, students have an effortless transfer, both academically and pastorally. Edgbaston College has the flexibility to meet these needs and over the years, students on our Year 13 Transfer Course have consistently achieved exceptional success rates.
What Edgbaston College offers:
- Exceptional grades: students consistently achieving outstanding A-Level exam results (84% A*-B in 2022)
- Tailored service: We thoroughly review every student's situation prior to joining, designing a bespoke learning programme to help them achieve their career and academic goals.
- Individual attention: Our average class size is seven students per class. This ensures students get the attention they need. Each student has regular one-to-one sessions with their personal tutor and subject teacher(s) to assess their progress.
- Specialist university placement: One-to-one expert guidance by experienced teachers and Pathway Programme mentors. We support students throughout the entire application process and the benefit of this support is evident in our excellent Leaver's Destinations.
- Exam-focused: We prioritise exam preparation and stand out from other schools and colleges by doing so. Our approach involves weekly assessments, ensuring students develop the necessary skills and knowledge for outstanding exam performance.
- Supportive environment: As a family-run Sixth Form College, we offer a personal, socially relaxed and supportive environment where every student is encouraged to be ambitious and work towards their goals.
- Extra-curriculars: The College also offers a stimulating extra-curricular programme which includes the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, a range of charity fundraising activities, debating society, football and other sports, a student council, frequent visits to theatres, art galleries and exhibitions
Students study three A-Level subjects over one year. The Year 13 Transfer course starts in September of Year 13 and students sit their final A-Level examinations at the end of the same academic year.
The programme itself is intensive with the academic structure as follows:
- Students may study between one and four subjects
- Full in-depth coverage of the specification;
- Weekly timed assessments based on past papers; allowing for continued performance monitoring
- Two full sets of mock examinations each academic year
University & Career Placement
The College is committed to its vision of providing education with a purpose. With this goal in mind, we concentrate on career development and consistently achieve outstanding career and university placements for our students. We recognise the uniqueness of each student and understand that their applications require personalised and careful attention. We ensure this by:
- Organize one-on-one career consultations with the Principal as required and regular Personal Tutor meetings
- Help students secure relevant work experience to bolster their university applications and CVs
- Utilise ourPathway Programmes to support students throughout their applications to the most competitive universities and courses (e.g., Oxbridge, Medicine, Dentistry)
For more information about our Retake Programme and how to apply, you can call us or fill out the online enquiry form and we will get in touch as soon as possible. Please also feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0121 306 0182.